Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Countdown Begins

I've been quite busy lately getting things in order to go; the visa application is sent off, the flight deposit had been paid, my first vaccine appointment was completed, and I now know my flight routing. The next step is to attend the pre-departure meeting on April 9 and after that it's a waiting game.

The problem is managing all of this at the same time as trying to finish up my last semester at Mt. A. It's proving a little difficult, but manageable. I'm also worrying about if I'll have enough money to go away with so I've been talking to my employer from last summer, and it looks like they're willing to hire me back for the 6 weeks before I head off. But before all that I've got final papers and exams to worry about.

The vaccine appointment was interesting, I can say that. It ended up costing me $425 to get vaccinated for Japanese Encephalitis, Polio, and Hepatitis A. I have to go back again in April to get another Japanese Encephalitis vaccine, and two others. The Japanese Encephalitis vaccine is the most expensive; $270 each, and you need 2 of them 28 days apart. Malaria medication is going to be expensive too, I was quoted over $300 for a 9 week supply. But it's one of those things you can't go without.

The flight routing was emailed to us from Robin Walker, Mt. A's international studies coordinator, and after a quick search through some online flight booking sites I was able to see the whole itinerary of my departing flight. I might not be entirely correct, but this gives me a realistic idea of what to expect on May 27:

Depart Halifax 4:35pm to arrive New York 6:15pm
(duration 2hr 40min)

Depart New York 11:50pm to arrive Doha, Qatar 7:10pm + 1 day
(duration 12hr 20min)

Depart Doha, Qatar 8:15pm to arrive Bangalore, India 3:05am + 1 day
(duration 4hr 20min)

Total duration 19hr 20min (26hr with connections!)

It will be the longest flight I have ever taken as an adult but I'm not too worried, I deal fairly well with long travel and I really love traveling by air - call me crazy. Today is Wednesday, March 30 and I leave Friday, May 27 ...in 58 days!

2 comments:

  1. your trip sounds fantastic, i can't wait to hear how it goes. some people can go their hole life and never get opportunities like this. You must have someone really supportive to help you through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got some really supportive friends and family members that I'm incredibly grateful for, without them, none of this would be possible.

    ReplyDelete